Alucrom builds climate-smart HQ and production facility
“We are investing heavily and taking a step into the future,” said Magnus Sonnorp, CEO at Alucrom, in a press release.
With its origins in the region’s ship building industry, Alucrom, which is part of the Granitor Group, has been operating for more than 60 years. The company is a market leader in Sweden and has treated the surface of several of the city’s landmarks, including the new Hisingsbron bridge and the tunnel Tingstadstunneln. It also paints, for example, bus chasses for Volvo Buses, one of its current customers.
The new climate-smart facility will open later this year and include Alucrom’s headquarters as well as production. It is located in Arendal, a logistics and industrial area in Gothenburg, and home to many companies. The Port of Gothenburg, Scandinavia’s largest port and a market leader in the transition to fossil-free logistics, is also located there.
Becoming more sustainable a necessity for businesses
“Our goal is to drive the surface treatment industry forward, with focus on sustainability and new technology,” said Magnus Sonnorp.
Production at the new facility will be energy effective and have lower emissions compared to existing sites. For example, Alucrom expects to reduce its emission of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) by 40 per cent. Solar panels on the roof will generate electricity equivalent to around 40 per cent of the facility’s expected consumption.
“Alucrom is a company with unique capabilities to make important infrastructure longer lasting - and therefore more sustainable. With their new facility, they will be able to become more sustainable in their service. Sustainability has become more and more important and critical for business. This investment is very good proof of this,” says Joel Görsch, investment advisor for automotive and cleantech at Business Region Göteborg.
Business Region Göteborg has been in contact with Alucrom during the past few years and has been supporting the company’s investment by providing them with information, advice and contacts.
Gothenburg – a front-runner in sustainability
- For six consecutive years, Gothenburg has been named the most sustainable destination in the world (Global Destination Sustainability Index).
- Gothenburg has a goal of having a climate footprint close to zero by 2030. It has also been selected to be part of the EU mission for 100 climate neutral cities by 2030.
- As part of Gothenburg Green City Zone, companies, the research community and the public sector are working together and testing new technology for both vehicles and infrastructure in central parts of the city. The aim is to achieve emission-free transport by 2030.
- Advantage Gothenburg - sustainable development
- Tailor-made investment advisory services
- Gothenburg Green City Zone