First Sri Lankan company to open an office in Gothenburg
The software development company Ascentic was founded in 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, by Anna Kalm and Patrik Alm. The idea was to support Swedish clients with their software needs since they identified an increased need to meet the growing demands that currently exist in Sweden.
Today, the company has over 80 employees and about ten Swedish companies in its customer portfolio, several of which are from the Gothenburg region.
- With the shortage of developers prevailing in the Swedish market, it is difficult for small and medium-sized companies to attract and retain the skills they need to be able to further develop their products and operations, and there has a hybrid team, where its development team is complemented by colleagues in Sri Lanka has become an appreciated solution, says Ascentic's founder and CEO Anna Kalm.
Christoffer Högdén, product owner and first employee at the Gothenburg office is convinced that more and more people will see the benefits of working with distributed software development, especially when looking back at the year that has passed. He thinks all doubts should be removed regarding the fact that it's possible to work efficiently for long periods without meeting physically.
- This is where I see Ascentic's offer to the market as particularly powerful as it combines teams with high technical competence from Sri Lanka with senior Swedish project management who are close to the customer. This setup minimizes risks, you are able to get up to speed quickly and it ensures that you can deliver significant value to the customer without long start-up times. Ascentic's growth in recent years has been impressive, but I am convinced that we are only at the beginning of this journey yet, says Christoffer Högdén.
A result of active work
Ascentic's establishment in Gothenburg is the result of active work from Business Region Göteborg, which together with the Sweden-Sri Lanka Business Council (www.sslbc.se) has collaborated for several years to link Sri Lanka with the Gothenburg region.
- That a Sri Lankan company chooses west Sweden for its Swedish establishment is a clear confirmation of the region's important work, but also the natural outlook for the rest of the world that is represented here, says Leif I Ohlson, Secretary-General of the Sweden-Sri Lanka Business Council. It is gratifying that expertise from Sri Lanka will be able to contribute to the continued success of west Swedish companies. It is also important to be able to recommend companies to establish themselves here, as there are good communications, Leif I Ohlson concludes.
Sri Lanka has a growing ecosystem for ICT & TECH. The fact that Ascentic is establishing itself in Gothenburg will be an important step for closer cooperation and means that western Swedish companies operating in the global market can gain access to important IT expertise, says Erik Behm, Area & Investment Manager ICT at Business Region Göteborg.
- We have received very good support from both Erik and Leif before the establishment in Gothenburg, which we greatly appreciate, says Anna Kalm.
- We see the establishment in Sweden and Gothenburg as a natural next step in the company's journey - it enables us to work even closer to the business and help our customers with project management, product ownership, and similar roles that require close cooperation with the company's operations and management, Anna Kalm concludes.
Ascentic opened its office in Gothenburg on February 8.
- Gothenburg's ICT industry
- Healthcare data giant buys Gothenburg company in major deal
- Foodtech start-up to ramp up production of climate-smart protein
- 'Gothenburg's tech community has really blossomed'