Life science is one of Gothenburg’s fastest-growing sectors and major investments are taking place. The region is home to Scandinavia’s largest university hospital and one of AstraZeneca’s three globally strategic R&D centres. Here you’ll find a talented workforce, an ethos of collaboration and a proven ecosystem for innovation.
The largest university hospital in the Nordics
Gothenburg is Sweden's leading region for business R&D and an important hub for Sweden’s life science sector. The region has a vibrant life science ecosystem - featuring recognised universities, a science park, incubators and multiple testbeds - which fosters innovation and entrepreneurship. Here we have many global companies, as well as a fast-growing start-up and scale-up scene.
raised by life science companies in 2021
Clinical research in Sweden
AstraZeneca is the region’s largest life science employer with around 2,800 employees at its R&D site in Gothenburg. At the heart of its facility also lies the BioVentureHub where promising biotech, medtech and e-health companies are based and collaborate closely with the pharma giant.
Other major companies headquartered or operating in Gothenburg include Essity, Dentsply-Sirona, Mölnlycke Healthcare, Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions, Cellink, BICO Group, Vitrolife and Mediq.
Breaking new frontiers in life science
Gothenburg features world-class expertise, infrastructure and meeting places. It is also the leading centre for clinical trials in Sweden. Some of our strength areas include:
- Advanced therapeutics and regenerative medicine
- Materials science and wound care
- Health tech
- Medical imaging
Additional areas where strong elements exist include oncology, IVF transplantation, precision medicine, healthcare delivery and efficiency, and healthy aging.
Sweden's leading region for business R&D
of Sweden's private R&D investments are made in Gothenburg's county
Attracting major investments
In recent years many companies and organisations have chosen to establish or expand operations in Gothenburg. A few examples are Dentsply-Sirona, Fosun Pharma, AstraZeneca, Cellink/BICO and General Electric as well as The Swedish Research Institute (RISE) and Clinical Studies Sweden.
The life science cluster in Mölndal, known as GoCo Health Innovation City, is expanding rapidly and approximately EUR 400 million will be invested. The area beside AstraZeneca’s R&D centre is under development and will grow by 200,000 sqm - and there will be space for an additional 350 companies and 7,000 people.
Nearby, EUR 600 million will also be invested in the coming years in Sahlgrenska Life, a unique clinical research environment that will further strengthen the collaboration between researchers, clinicians and industry. By 2030, an estimated 21,500 people will work or study here.
Why Gothenburg is a hotspot for life science
With expanding clusters and cutting-edge collaboration, Gothenburg is well positioned in a transforming industry.
Life science database
If you are looking for a partner or just want to get to know the life science sector in our region, we offer a full directory to the companies and organisations established here.
Resources & support
Here is just a small sample of the networks, organisations and science parks that are part of our life science ecosystem. Please contact us if you would like more information.
- Sahlgrenska Science Park helps entrepreneurs and innovators to develop their business ideas into international growth companies.
- Health Innovation West is a cluster organisation that works to strengthen the life science cluster in West Sweden.
- AstraZeneca BioVentureHub is an ecosystem offering emerging biotech/medtech companies the opportunity to co-locate and interact with AstraZeneca experts, and each other.
- Gothia Forum acts as a meeting place and a resource for everyone working with clinical research in the region.
- Chalmers Ventures provides financing and support for technology-based business concepts and growth companies.
- GU Ventures provides financing and support for projects and companies that are spawned by the University of Gothenburg.
- Health Tech Arena is a business and knowledge network for commercialising biotechnology, medical devices, eHealth, health technology and pharmaceuticals.
- Innovation Platform is part of Region Västra Götaland, which is responible for healthcare in West Sweden. It acts as a key link between businesses and healthcare.
- AI Innovation of Sweden is a hub for AI-related research and innovation, involving partners from industry and academia, where teams will have the opportunity to co-locate and share ideas, data and resources.
We are here to help
If you are considering or are in the process of establishing, investing or innovating in the region, we can provide you with information, contacts and advice. Our services are tailored to your needs and are available free of charge and in full confidentiality. Contact us today.