Gothenburg has decided to change to fossil-free transports by 2030. This adaptation to Agenda 2030 is in line with the city's stated objective of embracing the technology transition to electrified transports to maximise the benefits of its effects. The transition will have a bearing on everything from urban development to charging infrastructure. This opens entirely new business opportunities for international companies operating in these areas.
Gothenburg is an innovative region with the public sector, industry and academia working in close concert. Complete value chains for both cars and heavier vehicles are already in place. This means that the necessary knowledge and experience for developing transport solutions all the way from concept to finished product and system are also in place. The city’s holistic approach and well-refined openness to collaboration, combined with a complete ecosystem for vehicle manufacturing, afford us a unique position when it comes to implementing the transition to an electrified and connected transport system. Sweden’s Public Procurement Act will be a powerful tool in this process.
A SPRINGBOARD TO THE WORLD MARKET
Business Region Göteborg will lead the transition, which includes initiating and coordinating new collaborations between the participating stakeholders to facilitate a large-scale rollout of an electrified vehicle fleet together with the underlying mobility solutions. Our ambitions also include making Gothenburg the best equipped city in Sweden when it comes to electric vehicle charging points. Gothenburg will be a test bed, a showroom and a springboard to the world market for all companies wanting to get involved in developing the necessary electrification solutions.
Region Västra Götaland:
- 98% of car production and 50% of truck production in Sweden.
- 40,000 people directly employed by the automotive industry.
- 30,000 tech and IT consultants.
- 3,000 new graduates each year.
- RISE Research Institutes of Sweden has its head office in Gothenburg, making the region one of the most knowledge-intensive when it comes to mobility.
- Region Västra Götaland is a world leader in the development of mobile data systems and telematics, as well as a pioneer in creating test and development arenas for sustainable transport.